MATHEWS MEMORIAL LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
April 8, 2014
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by Carolyn Taylor, Chairperson, at 5:03 pm.
ATTENDING: Jo Anna Brown, Will Story, Mary Sampson, and Steve Wilson. Also present were Bette Dillehay, Library Director, and Maree Morgan, President of the Friends of the Library.
MINUTES: for March 11, 2014, were approved as amended.
REPORT OF THE DIRECTOR: Attached
• Financial Report. Carryover of $20,000 from FY 2013 applied to operational expenses for computer equipment. The library remains within budget.
• SEAC. Discussed background on Memorandum of Agreement between SEAC and the library. The program, which ceased in early 2013, will restart on Friday, April 12th. Focus will be on supporting parents of special education children.
• Display. Mike Fisher assisted Greg Lewis in the installation of the racks. Discussed who can display artwork—no requirement to be a professional.
• Spring Programs.
Adult. Bus to William & Mary for adult program featuring Myra Angelou on April 15th is sold out.
Youth & Teens. The "Who are They?" program on April 22nd will provide refreshments from the Mexican Restaurant. Molly Malone will be the guide for the fantasy trip to Ireland scheduled for April 23rd.
REPORT FROM THE FRIENDS:
• Brenda Baker was elected to replace Doreen Folzenlogen on the Friends of the Library Board.
• Friends are meeting on April 9th with Hopkins Associates (project administrator for the Bland Hudgins wing) to determine if the contractor, Lockridge, has met contract standards.
• The Friends board will meet to address how to increase membership, with a focus on attracting young adults.
• Mary Whitley is doing a great job with the newsletter.
• The Mathews Friends of the Library, a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization, is not listed on the Virginia state tax website. Maree Morgan will look into the issue.
OLD BUSINESS: None.
Joint Agreement between Mathews Memorial Library and Mathews County Historical Society
The board voiced its support for renewal of the agreement, which has been mutually beneficial for both organizations. A motion was made to approve the joint agreement as amended with minor grammatical corrections. The motion was seconded and the board voted unanimously to approve. Ms. Dillehay will forward the document to the MCHS for its review and approval.
PUBLIC COMMENT: None
ADJOURNMENT: the meeting was adjourned 5:52 pm.
The next regular meeting is scheduled for May 13, at 5:00 p.m.
Submitted by Stephen Wilson, Secretary.