MATHEWS MEMORIAL LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
MAY 12, 2015
ATTENDING: Jo Anna Brown, Doreen Folzenlogen, Mary Sampson, Will Story and Carolyn Taylor. Also present were Bette Dillehay, Library Director, and Steve Whiteway, President of The Friends of the Library.
MINUTES: for April 14 were unanimously approved as written.
REPORT OF THE DIRECTOR: attached
• Current year-to-date expenses are significantly lower than last year when there were computer purchases.
• The $21,2338.02 for grants/donations include reimbursement for the VMFA trip.
• Under salaries and related benefits the remaining $71,254.26 unencumbered for FY 2015 is about $22,000 in excess of what will be used.
• The $2,124 requested from the Mathews Community Foundation will be used to further educational pursuits for Amy Hudgins and workshops for Diane McKnight.
• Ms. Dillehay reported that the Teen Territory is being well used with between 15 – 20 teens every afternoon.
REPORT FROM THE FRIENDS:
• The semi-annual membership meeting went well. The library staff was honored and thanked with gifts of dining certificates. It appears that the chocolate theme brought in some new members!
• Jane Abbott has resigned her position on the Board of Directors.
• The FOL contributed financial support for the trip to VMFA.
• There will be a fund-raising event in June or July to help “pay down the note.”
• Book donations and sales for the bookstore have been very healthy. Unsold books go the regional jail.
OLD BUSINESS: none
NEW BUSINESS: Bronwyn Hughes and Kat Sharp are interested in having movies in the courtyard during the summer months. This will depend on acquiring adequate equipment.
PUBLIC COMMENT: none
ADJOURNMENT: the meeting adjourned at 5:46 pm.
The next regular meeting will be June 9, 2015 at 5pm.
Submitted by Jo Anna Brown