1. Get your library PIN. Your PIN is the same as the password used to access your account or reserve books online using our catalog. Browse to http://catalog.mathewslibrary.org and click on Login in the upper right corner. Enter your library card number and "userpass" as the temporary password. You will then have the opportunity to create your own password. Please call the library at (804)725-5747 for password assistance.
2. Login to Freading using your library card number and PIN.
3. Get ready to download eBooks! Select your device for printable instructions:
- Select Desktop if you have a black and white e-reader (Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc). You must download the title to your computer using Adobe Digital Editions software and transfer it to your e-reader using the USB cable.
- Freading eBooks can only be downloaded to the Kindle Fire. Freading eBooks are not supported on black & white Kindles.
5. For additional assistance in setting up your device, please bring it to the library. Make sure you bring any device cables with you. The library staff are always available to help get you started with Freading or answer any specific questions you may have. No appointment is necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What does Freading include?
Freading currently has over 20,000 titles from many genres in its collection and more eBooks are added each week.
How does Freading work?
Freading is free reading for all Mathews Memorial Library patrons. At the beginning of each week (Monday morning) you will receive six (6) tokens which you can exchange for eBooks at a cost of either 1, 2 or 4 tokens per eBook. The cost of each eBook is determined by the publisher. Unused tokens roll over each week until the end of the month.
How long can I read each eBook?
Each eBook is yours for a 2-week loan period. You can renew each eBook for an additional 2-week period and most renewals are free or 1 token.
What devices work with Freading?
The following are some popular devices compatible with Freading:
Any computer or laptop running on Windows, Mac or Linux (direct download from the Mathews Memorial Library's Freading site)
Apple iPad and iPhone (using the Freading app for iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch)
Android tablets and smartphones (using the Freading app for Android - device must be compatible with Google Play)
eReaders (transfer from a computer)
For more Frequently Asked Questions visit the Freading website.