MATHEWS MEMORIAL LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
JANUARY 13, 2015
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by Carolyn Taylor, chairperson, at 5:05 pm.
ATTENDING: Jo Anna Brown, Doreen Folzenlogen, Charles Ingram, Mary Sampson, Will Story, and Carolyn Taylor. Also present was Bette Dillehay, Library Director.
MINUTES: for November 10, 2014 were approved as written.
REPORT OF THE DIRECTOR: attached
• Operational expenses of $15,735.47 included $1950.00 under "Library Ideas" for Freegal which provides for streaming music, a very popular application; and $2,595.00 for ProQuest which supplies ancestry.com, a popular genealogy resource.
• Current year-to-date expenses of $41,579 are under where we were last year at this time.
• The $1000 in donations received in December was from four different donors.
REPORT FROM THE FRIENDS: a written report was submitted.
1. New officers for 2015 are as follows: Steve Whiteway, President; Maree Morgan, Vice President; Hank Furniss, Treasurer; Pam Viens, Secretary.
2. Approval by FOL board at the December meeting to appropriate up to $6000 for the purchase of a Smart Board for use in the Teen Territory. Funds raised through the Tree of Light Fundraiser are to be applied to this usage.
3. Tree of Light Fundraiser, first year, raised a net of $1200.
4. Book Store sales exceeded $1800 due to the efforts of Jane Abbott, Michael Cannon, Barbara Sampson, and many other volunteers.
FY 2015 Budget Request Package:
• The current budget of $353,406 includes state aid of over $61,000.
• There will be no changes in salaries.
• The proposed budget for FY 2015-2016 shows a decrease of $1,209. This is the result of the cancellation of Verizon as a back-up internet service.
• Revenue projections are down from last year due to fewer faxes being sent. The new Xerox machine allows patrons to scan to email.
• Will Story made a motion to accept the budget as presented; the motion was seconded by JoAnna Brown, and the Board voted unanimously to approve.
Dress Code – Staff and Volunteers:
All staff members and volunteers are expected to present themselves in an appropriate manner for the work to be performed and to present a professional and positive image to the public.
Our dress code is business casual. The following items of clothing are deemed NOT APPROPRIATE apparel for service.
• Blue jeans
• Message T-shirts or sweatshirts
• Tank tops
• Leggings (spandex or other skin tight materials) unless under appropriate garment
• Skorts, culottes or Capri pants
• Flip flops or thongs
The cooperation of each individual representing the Mathews Memorial Library in a professional manner is expected and appreciated.
Note: the Board agreed that it is the Director's prerogative to determine the dress code for the Library, and approved the code as presented.
Board of Supervisors Appointments to Boards and Commissions
• The Library Board received a list of 2015 Board of Supervisors appointments to other Boards and Commissions, including the re-appointment of Charles Ingram as representative to the Mathews Library Board of Trustees.
• Mary Sampson was re-appointed to a 2nd 4-year term on the Library Board of Trustees.
Other New Business
• The IRS will be providing 1040 and other tax forms, but no instruction booklet as they have in the past.
• The AARP will be providing free income tax preparation for Mathews residents starting the first week in February.
ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 5:45 pm.
The next regular meeting is scheduled for February 10, 2015 at 5pm.
Submitted by JoAnna Brown