- Fill out an Ancestral Chart with names, dates & places. Start with yourself (no. 1). If you don't know exact dates estimate them.
- Gather more information from family members and relatives.
- Fill in a Family Group Record with information from your Ancestral Chart, and include additionial information with sources.
- Choose an Ancestral Line from your Ancestral Chart that you would like to know more about.
- Identify questions you want to answer about your ancestor, and create a Research Log.
- Select one or two questions as an objective. In general, find out about the ancestor's death before the marriage and the marriage before the birth.
- Verify what you know, and then use it to look for what you don't know.
Mathews Memorial Library's Online Catalog
- Search the Library's Online Catalog for books, genealogies, documents, manuscripts, photographs, etc. before your visit.
- Make a list of the materials that are likely to contain the answers to your questions. Be sure to include title, call number and location.
While at the Mathews Memorial Library
- Bring any information you have that relates to the people or questions you are researching.
- Bring your laptop, flash drive and/or hand-held scanner.
- Visit with our Historian/Genealogist, she can create a research strategy to help you find the information you want to learn.