MATHEWS MEMORIAL LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
March 14, 2017
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by Will Story, Chairperson, at 5:02 pm.
ATTENDING: Jo Anna Brown, Charles Ingram, Reed Lawson, Mary Sampson, Will Story, Carolyn Taylor, and Steve Wilson. Also present were Bette Dillehay, Library Director, and Molly Broderson, President of the Friends of the Library.
MINUTES: A motion was made to approve the minutes of the January 10, 2017 board meeting. The motion was seconded and the board voted unanimously to approve. .
REPORT OF THE DIRECTOR: Attached report covers the period January 10 – March 14, 2017. Also attached are the operation expenditure reports as of February 9 and March 14, 2017, and the February 2017 Activity Report.
• Two new databases offering atlas and travel information offered through the Library of Virginia are now accessible through the Internet.
o Spring Fantasy Trip to Germany is scheduled for April 12th.
o Alexander Barnes, author of To Hell with the Kaiser, America Prepares for War 1916–1918, has agreed to speak in May on the historical impact of World War I on Mathews. He may be joined by MG Tim Williams, The Adjutant General of Virginia.
o An exhibit to memorialize the Mathews men who died in WW I is being planned for Armistice (Veterans) Day, November 11, 2017.
REPORT FROM THE FRIENDS:
• During the FOL November 2016 meeting, a new perpetual award—the Maree Morgan Volunteer Service Award—was established to recognize exceptional service to the FOL. It was awarded to Maree Morgan in recognition to her years of service to the FOL.
• Pam Viens was awarded a brick in recognition to her years of service to the FOL.
• The FOL accounts are being updated to reflect the change of officers.
• Mrs. Broderson thanked Mrs. Dillehay for providing her with a “tool kit” for use by library advocates.
• The next FOL meeting is scheduled to April 18 in the MML.
• The FOL is preparing a grant proposal for submission to the Treakle Foundation. The foundation previously awarded a grant for $3000.
• The bookstore operated by the FOL continues to be a great asset to raise funds in support to MML.
• Restroom Renovation. The bathroom renovations are complete.
• Library staff pay scale – LVA informal survey. The survey results indicate pay scale increases for Virginia public libraries range from 0- 3% with the majority receiving 2%. The survey is attached.
• Policy Review/Update – Meeting Room Policy & Guidelines. The proposed revision to the policy and guidelines accounts for the increase in available facilities from the MML expansion.
VOTE: A motion was made to approve the revised Meeting Room Policy & Guidelines (attached). The motion was seconded and the board voted unanimously to approve.
• Joint Agreement: MML and Mathews County Historical Society. A possible update to the agreement, approved by the MML BOT during its April 2014 meeting, was discussed and found to be unnecessary.
• An amendment to the MML BOT Bylaws, Article VI – Meetings and Quorums, as reads “Regular meetings shall be held at least monthly” should be revised to read “Regular meetings shall be held at least bi-monthly.” The BOT voted on February 9, 2016 to meet every other month; the proposed bylaws revision incorporates that decision. Per Article VIII – Amendments to the Bylaws, the proposed amendment “…may become effective only after a favorable vote at a subsequent meeting.”
• Chairman Story proposed that, when more than one copy of a book is purchased, at least one copy is in large print.
PUBLIC COMMENT: None.
ADJOURNMENT: the meeting was adjourned at 6:10 pm.
The next regular meeting is scheduled for May 9, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Submitted by Stephen Wilson, Secretary
Attachments to the official record as stated