MATHEWS MEMORIAL LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
May 9, 2017
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by Will Story, Chairperson, at 5:00 p.m.
ATTENDING: Charles Ingram, Reed Lawson, Mary Sampson, Will Story, Carolyn Taylor, and Steve Wilson were present. Also present were Bette Dillehay, Library Director, and Mary Whitley, Vice President of the Friends of the Library.
MINUTES: A motion was made to approve the minutes of the March 14, 2017 board meeting. The motion was seconded and the board voted unanimously to approve. .
REPORT OF THE DIRECTOR: Attached report covers the period March 14 – May 9, 2017. Also attached are the operation expenditure reports as of May 9, 2017, and the April 2017 Activity Report.
• The library will be closed on May 17 from 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. for staff training on downloading e-books and software.
• Colanne Bunting became the second staff member trained in use of Web Dewey and Dewey Decimal classification.
• Dr. and Mrs. Jennette’s donation to the MML of $390 will be earmarked for professional services.
• Kurt Hugo, a new weekend staff member, has extensive library experience.
• The staff completed an extensive 6-week physical inventory of the library’s collection, which identified over 1000 missing items. The staff is currently conducting a review to identify those items that should be replaced.
• Chairman Story recommended the staff inventory and catalog the library’s valuable artifacts. Ms. Dillehay agreed to conduct an inventory.
• Staff and BOT members of the Middlesex Library toured MMLon April 15. Mrs. Dillehay received a very nice note thanking her and the MML staff for hosting the visit.
• Handouts (attached) on two Summer Program events—“This is Us (sic)” and the 13th Annual Highland Games and Picnic—were distributed.
REPORT FROM THE FRIENDS:
• The April 2017 FOL General Meeting in the MML was very well attended.
• The FOL is sponsoring the second year of the Fourth Grade Reading Project. Each fourth grade student receives a book and bookmark to encourage them to read. The book chosen for this year is a graphic novel, A Wrinkle in Time.
• Volunteer FOL members have worked on cleaning up the courtyard by pulling weeds, etc.
• The bookstore continues to generate revenue used to support the MML. Michael Cannon and her volunteers work hard to prepare the bookstore for Saturday sales.
• Lisa White and Joey Ball have joined the FOL Board as new directors.
A proposed amendment to the MML BOT Bylaws, Article VI – Meetings and Quorums, Section A, was read to the BOT during its March 9, 2007 meeting. Section VI A, which reads “Regular meetings shall be held at least monthly”, should be revised to read “Regular meetings shall be held at least bi-monthly.” The BOT voted on February 9, 2016 to meet every other month.
VOTE: A motion was made to approve the amendment to the MML BOT Bylaws, Article VI – Meetings and Quorums, Section A. The motion was seconded and the board voted unanimously to approve.
• Nominating Committee. Carolyn Taylor and Mary Sampson have agreed to serve on the nominating committee to develop the 2017-2018 slate of officers. The slate will be presented to the BOT in July and voted on in September.
• Ms. Dillehay provided a copy of the proposed funding for the Summer Programs she has submitted to the FOL (attached).
• Mrs. Dillehay will be requesting $1500 from the FOL to fund a permanent art exhibit in the courtyard by artist John Latell. The exhibit will represent the theme “This is Us (sic)”.
PUBLIC COMMENT: None.
ADJOURNMENT: the meeting was adjourned at 5:46 p.m.
The next regular meeting is scheduled for July 11, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Submitted by Stephen Wilson, Secretary
Attachments to the official record as stated