New Books - 14 days
Videos - 4 days
All other books and materials - 21 days
Two renewals may be made on most materials, unless they are on reserve for other patrons. There are no renewals on New Books. Renewals may be made in person, by calling the library or by accessing your account through the online catalog.
Patrons are expected to return or renew each item borrowed from the Mathews Memorial Library in a timely manner by the end of the loan period indicated for that particular item. If an item is not returned or renewed by the end of the loan period, it is considered overdue. Fines are generated each day an item is overdue at a rate of 5 cents per day with a maximum $10.00 fine per item. When total fines reach $10.00 the patron’s account is blocked from further checkouts.
Library privileges are suspended and a notice is sent to patrons having borrowed items that are 30 days or more overdue. As a result, they may not check out additional materials, use library computers, connect to the library’s wireless network or use any other library services requiring a library card. The patron’s privileges are reinstated only when all overdue items are returned or replacement cost paid and all outstanding fines are paid in full.
When a patron cannot be located because of insufficient or incorrect address, the overdue item(s) on their account are marked as lost and the replacement cost for those item(s) is charged to their account. The replacement cost charge is waived if the item is returned and the maximum fine is imposed.
Interlibrary loans are subject to the loan periods of the lending library. Fines for overdue Interlibrary loans are accessed at $1.00 per day.
Library cards - $1.00
Fees for damaged books or equipment - To be assessed by staff
Lost books or other materials – Replacement cost of item
Failure to pay for lost, unreturned or damaged materials will result in suspension of library privileges.
Materials that have been checked out may be reserved in person, by telephone, or through our online catalog. When the materials are available, the patron will be notified by phone or email.
- Materials not available in the Mathews Memorial Library's collection may be requested either in person by filling out a Materials Request Form at the circulation desk or online.
- Requests for materials will be processed by the staff as soon as possible.
- The library may either purchase the requested item or borrow it from another library via the inter-library loan system.
- There are no patron charges for inter-library loans but requests may take as long as two weeks or more to fulfill.
- Audio books, videos and titles published within the last year are generally not available through interlibrary loan request.
- You must be a registered library patron to request materials.
Loan of Videocassettes and DVDs
- A valid Mathews Memorial Library patron ID card is required.
- Juveniles and young adults (age 0-17) must have permission from a parent or guardian to check out videocassettes or DVDs.
- There is no borrower’s fee for the loan of videocassettes or DVDs for a three week checkout period. The fine for each overdue item will be $.10 per day with a $10 maximum fine! There is a limit of two renewals for each videocassette or DVD.
- The borrower may not have more than six videocassettes and DVDs checked out at one time.
- If the library is closed, videocassettes and DVDs may be placed in the book drop.
- Replacement cost for damaged items will be the actual cost.
- The library assumes no responsibility for damage caused to a borrower’s VCR or DVD player while using materials belonging to the library.
- Videocassettes must be rewound before returning.
- Responsibility for a child’s selection rests with the parent.
We appreciate your cooperation in helping us keep our collection in good condition for all to enjoy.
This policy was adopted May 2008 with addendum for Videocassette and DVD checkout July 2010.